Thursday, January 26, 2012

What's For Dinner? Week 4: Broccoli Cheddar Soup & Honey Beer Bread


My kids love broccoli cheddar soup from Panera.

I've served homemade broccoli cheddar soup to them in the past, fully confident that they would love it, since they gobble up the stuff at Panera.  But, they've never liked what I have made.

So, I was sure that if I made this one for them, they would love it.  It is, after all, the Panera recipe (supposedly!)...I did have to add a bit more liquid to it, as the recipe as is comes out a little thick for our tastes.


The consensus?  I thought it tasted just like Panera's soup.  Kris has never had the Panera version but said this stuff was amazing, and most likely better than Panera's.  Shane really liked it.  Caleb & Meredith did not (whaaa!). 

I was definitely disappointed, as I really hoped that they (C & M) would like it.  In my opinion, this was as close to the "real thing" as you can get, minus the Panera bowls and trays. 

Oh well.  At least they liked the other new recipe I tried...homemade honey beer bread.  Apparently, beer acts in place of yeast.  Much less time consuming and no kneading involved.  My kind of recipe.  And, it is seriously yummy.  Caleb ate his with some raspberry jam, Meredith and Daddy ate it plain, and I had mine with butter.  It's also good for dipping into soup.


Click here for the soup recipe and here for the bread recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails