Monday, January 30, 2012

Cute & Fun (though somewhat time consuming) Valentine's Day Crayons


I came across this idea on Pinterest, and thought it was so cute....
heart-shaped crayons!


That, plus the fact that I have been looking for a use for all of the broken crayons we have, made it a must-do project.  Immediately, I knew that this would be a great activity for the kids to do, and a very fun Valentine's gift to give to the kids' school & playgroup friends.

What I didn't anticipate was how tedious the act of peeling paper off of crayons is.  Thankfully, I had some help.

Meredith sat on this chair next to Daddy for a good 45 minutes and peeled. 


And peeled.


And peeled some more.  


She was so focused and diligent!  And she didn't get frustrated once.  Such a good little helper...


After a whole lotta crayons were peeled and chopped, the kids set to work on filling up the hearts.



I was a little nervous when 15 minutes went by and the crayon chunks were still not melted.  But, I kept them in the oven for a bit longer and after about 23 minutes, we had hearts!


Enough hearts for Caleb's preschool friends, our playgroup friends, and even some left over.  Of course, we had to try them out...


 How fun!  All of these colors came from 1 crayon!


Caleb worked very hard at signing his name on all of the Valentine cards.  Nothing like Valentine's Day to give a kid lots of name-writing practice...


Assembling the cards (we used sticky-tack to adhere the hearts to the card stock, which seems to work really well)...


Finished...


I made up a little poem for our cards...

Some crayons are red,
Some crayons are blue,
This crayon is lots of colors,
I made it for you!

I know, I know....I totally missed my calling to be a poet....

Some other cute wordings I have come across:
Have a Happy Valentine's Day, for "crayon" out loud!
You color my world.
Have a colorful Valentine's Day.

Caleb is so excited to pass these out to all of his friends.  Now, if only we didn't have to wait 2 weeks to do so!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails