Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

They are Irish, after all!


Caleb and I looked at a world map today so I could show him where Ireland is. We talked about how in order to get there, we would have to take an airplane all the way across the ocean! I also told him that his Nana was born there.

We talked about St. Patrick, that he was a man that went to Ireland to tell the people there about Jesus. We also touched very briefly on how St. Patrick used the 3 leaves of the shamrock to explain the Trinity to those people. Tough concept for a 3-year old to grasp. Wait, who am I kidding, it's a tough concept for me to truly grasp!

The kids (especially Meredith) love stickers...


Caleb made this at school...


They each colored a map of Ireland and glued the cross on as a symbol of St. Patrick's efforts in telling the Irish people about Jesus. And of course, more stickers for Meredith.


With Caleb, I also pointed out that Ireland is an island, so we cut his map out and glued it on some "water."


For dinner, we had Irish Beef & Potato Stew and Irish Soda Bread (thanks to my mother-in-law for the bread recipe!)...for dessert, we had a minty-chocolatey-whipped creamy-concoction that I didn't have all the ingredients for, so I improvised. Oh, and the kids had vanilla pudding (tinted green, of course)! Caleb wouldn't try either of the desserts, and Meredith tried the pudding...but didn't like it. Typical.



My lucky charms...




I was reading a little bit about the history of St. Patrick's Day and learned that many Christians use this day to spend extra time in prayer for missionaries around the world. What a great reminder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails