Friday, April 15, 2011

Unconditional Love


I was thinking today about how much I love my kids. Of course there are challenging moments (some days it seems there are more of those than anything else). And obviously, there are stinky diapers to change and floors that need incessant cleaning. Such is life with children.

Sometimes hard. Sometimes dirty.

But, have I ever once doubted my love for them? Nope, not once. My love for my kids is truly unconditional.

Of course there are days when my expectations are not met. There are days when my kids misbehave. There are days when I wonder if anything I am trying so hard to teach them about life and love and friendship and God is really making a difference.

Even on those days, I never doubt my love for them.

And I so badly want my children to KNOW that I love them unconditionally....and for them to know that they can come to me if they are afraid. Or if they need a hug, guidance, help. Unfortunately, though, I am not perfect. Such a calling is likely to bring moments of discouragement and failure.

As I was thinking about this, I heard a song on the radio, a song that I have heard many times before, although I never paid much attention to the lyrics. A song about God's unconditional love for us. And as I listened to this song, I was reminded of how amazing the Lord's love for us really is. Even on our worst days, when our lives are dirty and stinky, when we misbehave and do not meet expectations, His love for us is unconditional. Even when we miss the point of what He might be trying to teach us about life and love and friendship and Him, His love for us abounds.



And, because His love is not only unconditional, but perfect as well, He is all that we really need. HE never fails in His attempts to love us unconditionally. He never misses the mark.

While I will never be able to love my children like the Lord loves us, I am thankful that He has given Himself for us as a perfect example of unconditional love. I can only hope to be a mother who depends on Him for wisdom as I seek to love my children unconditionally.

And most importantly, I hope to be a mother who teaches her children that the love of the Lord is greater than anything.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails