Saturday, March 17, 2012

What's for Dinner? Week 10: Irish Beef Stew and Irish Soda Bread

 In honor of St. Patrick's Day, this week's new-to-me recipe was Irish Beef Stew.  I have made beef stews before, but this particular recipe was a new try.  You can find it here.  It was pretty good, although Kris and I agreed that the tomato-based broth is not the greatest when it comes to beef stew.  While this recipe was not unlike others I have made before, with Guinness and beef broth as the base for the liquid, the whole tomato paste addition was different.  Tasty, but not our favorite.  I don't think I would make this particular recipe again.  Beef stew, yes.  Beef stew with a tomato based broth, no.  But, like I said, it was tasty...so, if the tomato broth is your thing, try it out!


 I also made Irish soda bread, using a recipe that my sister-in-law passed along to me years ago.  YUM.


 Soda Bread Recipe:

3.5 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1.5 C. buttermilk

  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Lightly flour baking sheet.
  3. Mix first 4 ingredients.
  4. Add buttermilk and mix until dry mixture becomes moist.
  5. Turn onto lightly floured surface & knead until dough holds shape.
  6. Shape dough into rectangle, 6 in. diameter by 2 in. high.
    Place on floured baking sheet and cut 1 in. deep "X" across the top of the bread dough.
  7. Bake for 35 minutes until bread is golden and sounds hallow when tapped.
And, since it is St. Paddy's Day after all, the kiddos made shamrock wands.  They loved painting with the glue and going to town with the glitter!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails